Since the start of 2016, Charlie Blackmon has turned himself into an excellent power hitter. The Colorado Rockies center fielder smashed a career-high 29 home runs last season. This season, he’s already hit 18.
On Monday, Blackmon’s power-hitting ways were recognized as he was selected to compete in the Home Run Derby.
Here’s what the full list of participants look like:
- Giancarlo Stanton, Miami Marlins
- Aaron Judge, New York Yankees
- Gary Sanchez, New York Yankees
- Cody Bellinger, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Justin Bour, Miami Marlins
- Miguel Sano, Minnesota Twins
- Charlie Blackmon, Colorado Rockies
- Mike Moustakas, Kansas City Royals
The derby takes place Monday in Miami.
Stanton won it last year. He’ll have stiff competition as he tries to repeat. Judge leads the majors with 27 round trippers right now.
It will be a a busy All-Star week for Blackmon, who’s slated to start in the outfield for the National League. He was one of four Rockies to earn All-Star selections, along with Nolan Arenado, D.J. LeMahieu and Greg Holland.
Subscribe to Denverite’s weekly sports newsletter here.