Two Denver locations were included on the new list of “13 Haunted Houses So Crazy You’ll Wish You Brought a Change of Underwear.”
The list from Hauntedhouses.com ranks the 13th Floor Haunted House in the Elyria-Swansea neighborhood as the second scariest site in the country. House of Torment in Austin, Texas nabbed the No. 1 spot on the ranking.
The Asylum Haunted House in Denver’s Northeast Park Hill landed at No. 7 on the list.
Denver-based Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group operates five of the haunted houses on the list: the 13th Floor, The Asylum, House of Torment, Terror on the Fox in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and Fear Farm in Phoenix. The company also has a sites in Chicago.
Haunted houses are a part of the growing immersive entertainment industry in the country, according to Hauntedhouses.com.
“Every year we get asked which haunted houses are really going to scare people and more importantly, make their friends scream,” Hauntedhouses.com spokesman James Olmsted said in a news release. “We scour the country to find the best of the best all over America.”
HauntedHouses.com’s full 2016 list includes:
1. House of Torment — Austin, Texas
2. 13th Floor Haunted House — Denver
3. Headless Horseman — Ulster Park, New York
4. Terror on the Fox — Green Bay, Wisconsin
5. Bates Motel & Haunted Hayride — Philadelphia
6. Fear Farm & Phoenix Haunted Hayride — Phoenix
7. The Asylum Haunted House — Denver
8. Bennett’s Curse — Baltimore
9. Cutting Edge Haunted House — Fort Worth, Texas
10. House of Shock — New Orleans
11. Nightmare on the Bayou — Houston
12. Nashville Nightmare — Nashville, Tennessee
13. Fear PDX Haunted House Screampark — Portland, Oregon
Subscribe to Denverite’s newsletter here bit.ly/DailyDenverite.